Friday 30 May 2014

Spring Hill: Munsif Dad becomes first Kashmiri Mayor of Hyndburn

Cllr Munsif Dad of Spring Hill ward was inaugurated as Mayor of Hyndburn in a special Council meeting on Saturday 24th May 2014. Munsif is the first person of Kashmiri origin to become Mayor of the borough and has spoken of the great honour since 2/3 of those in Hyndburn of Asian heritage are from Kashmir backgrounds.

Choking back the tears, Munsif said, "Every child dreams of making their parents proud. My parents are no longer with us but I hope today that they are proud."

He also paid tribute to the outgoing Mayor and Mayoress, saying, "It will be difficult to match the sheer number of engagements that Judith and Kath have taken part in. They have both worked hard for the borough and I will endeavour to do the same in my Mayoral year."

Retiring Mayor Judith Addison (pictured left) said, "It's been a wonderful year and if the new Mayor has half as good a time as I did he will enjoy it. My aim as Mayor was to get out into the community and meet as many people from all walks of life as possible, with 6 or 7 engagements per week on avergae. Thanks to Kath Pratt for being by my side for the year and my best wishes to the new Mayor and his family."

Conservative Councillor Marlene Haworth (pictured top with Munsif Dad) becomes Deputy Mayor in preparation for full Mayorality in 2015/16.

No comments:

Post a Comment

terror

terror