Monday 20 July 2015

Rishton: Resident celebrates 100th birthday

 Marie Hocking of Talbot Street celebrated her 100th birthday last Saturday and the occasion was marked by a visit from the Mayor of Hyndburn, Cllr Marlene Haworth (pictured right), which was arranged by the Rishton Councillors as a surprise.

Mrs Hocking, who was born on 18th July 1915, moved to England from Belgium 77 years ago where she had grown up opposite the parliament buildings in Brussels. Following a period cleaning the borough's park toilets, she ended up at Gaskells Carpets where she worked for 25 years.

Marie said, "I have known a lot of war in my time, as I was born during the First World War and met my English husband during the Second World War. I have worked hard for everything in my life and, whilst I don't have much, it is mine and I am happy in my little house."

She added, "I am so grateful for all my cards and flowers and everyone who has come to see me. My telegram from the Queen arrived at 9.00am and I was so proud to receive it, now I have had a visit from the Mayor!"

Cllr Ken Moss said, "The Mayor and Mayoress arrived at 1.00pm with a card and a big bunch of flowers and had a chat with Mrs Hocking about her life. It was really nice to see how many people had sent a card and I know that more visitors were on the way after we left. Many happy returns, Mrs Hocking!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

terror

terror