Monday 18 January 2016

Mayor's Viewpoint - Cllr Marlene Haworth - January 2016


This is my first viewpoint of 2016, so first of all I’d like to wish you a very Happy New Year and hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Looking back to last year, I was lucky enough to be invited to lots of festive events and I must say a big well done to Evonne Harwood, who organised the Warner St Dickensian event in Accrington with Kathryn Furey. I, along with thousands of others, had an absolutely marvellous time with everyone entering into the seasonal spirit. I understand they are planning another for this Christmas, so make a date for your diary for this wonderful festive family event.

I was also invited to lots of Christmas parties and had a wonderful time at each and every one. Thanks so much for your warm welcome to Hyndburn Arthritis Care, Cabin End Over 50’s Group, Stanhill Village Over 60’s Group and the Friends in Unison party, where I ended up hula dancing!

I also visited two schools; I went along to Sacred Heart Primary School in Church, for their sponsored sing day, where I was also given a thoroughly enjoyable tour of the school. Later I attended Broadfield Special School Students Christmas Show, which was absolutely amazing and which I loved so much it literally reduced me to tears! Thank you so much to all of them.

Christmas and New Year is such a poignant time for anyone who has lost a loved one and the Memorial Services I attended just before Christmas at Accrington Crematorium chapel provided a welcome chance for reflection and remembrance. Last year’s service was so well attended that the Cemetery and Crematorium staff organised two events this year to accommodate as many people as possible. Thank you to the Cemetery and Crematorium team for organising the services and to Father Murnane, Father Stamp, Judith Talbot and the Conchord Singers for their time. Also to all the families who attended and gave so generously, raising almost £500 for East Lancashire Hospice.

Looking forward to 2016, I’m really looking forward to my Mayoral Charity Ball on Saturday 27th February. A great privilege of being Mayor is that you get to raise money for charities that are close to your heart. The Charity Ball is my big Mayoral year fundraiser where we are aiming to raise lots of cash for my four chosen charities.

It will raise funds for Derian House Children’s Hospice, the Over 55’s Group in Knuzden, Hyndburn Used Furniture Store and Macmillan Cancer Support, in memory of former Mayor, Councillor Pam Barton, a much loved and sadly missed friend and colleague who passed away last year.

So please support the Mayors Charity Ball if you can, the theme this year is “Glitz and Glamour”. It’s going to be in the Hollywood style of yesteryear and is set to be an evening packed with good fun, good company, fabulous food and top notch entertainment.

So dig out your dancing shoes and join us in the magnificent Ballroom in Accrington Town Hall on 27th February, you can be assured of a very warm welcome and a fun packed evening!

Tickets are £30 and available from the Democratic Services Office, call 01254 388111 to get yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

terror

terror